Note: stay tuned over the coming months each of these “plain” lists is replaced with a full blog post with commentary on the items on the list (and, in some cases, the items that didn’t make the cut).
Presented in chronological order. Not necessarily the “best” (though many would make that list too), but the ones that had the most impact on me at the time.
- Max Roach Quartet, with Cecil Bridgewater, Odean Pope and Tyrone Brown
New Haven Green, New Haven, CT, 1990
- Ray Baretto (featuring Jairo Moreno, Hector Martignon and others) and Pappo Lucca (y El Sonora Poncena), with guest soloist Hilton Ruiz.
Village Gate, NYC, 1991
- McCoy Tyner Trio, with Ron Carter and Al Foster
Fat Tuesday’s, NYC, 1992
- Arthur Taylor and Taylor’s Wailers, with Abraham Burton, Willie Williams, Jacky Terrason and Tyler Mitchell
Village Vanguard, NYC, 1992
- Brad Mehldau Trio, with Ugonna Okegwo and Leon Parker
Village Gate, NYC, 1992
- Tom Harrell Quintet, with Don Braden, Danilo Perez, Ray Drummond and Leon Parker
Visiones, NYC, 1993
- Cedar Walton Trio, with David Williams and Billy Higgins
Sweet Basil, NYC, 1995
- Kenny Barron Quintet, with John Stubblefield, Eddie Henderson, David Williams and Victor Lewis
Sweet Basil, NYC 1996
- James Williams and Intensive Care Unit, with Steve Wilson, Bill Pierce, John Lockwood, Yoron Israel, Miles Griffith and Roger Holland
Visiones, NYC, 1997
- Ahmad Jamal Trio, with James Cammack and James Johnson
Wesleyan University, Middletown, CT, 2001