Note: stay tuned over the coming months each of these “plain” lists is replaced with a full blog post with commentary on the items on the list (and, in some cases, the items that didn’t make the cut).
Don’t get this one confused with the top 10 piano trio albums.
- Red Garland: “Billy Boy” from Milestones by Miles Davis – with Paul Chambers and Philly Joe Jones
- Ahmad Jamal: “Poinciana” from At the Top: Poinciana Revisited, with Jamil Nasser and Frank Gant
- Bill Evans: “Gloria’s Step” from Sunday at the Village Vanguard, with Scott LaFaro and Paul Motian
- Ray Bryant: “Cubano Chant” from Con Alma, with Bill Lee and Mickey Roker
- Horace Silver: “Opus de Funk” from Horace Silver Trio, with Percy Heath and Art Blakey
- Duke Ellington: “Fleurette African” from Money Jungle, with Charles Mingus and Max Roach
- Bobby Timmons: “My Funny Valentine” from This Here is Bobby Timmons, with Sam Jones and Jimmy Cobb
- Kenny Barron: “You Don’t Know What Love Is” from The Perfect Set, with Ray Drummond and Ben Riley
- Roy Haynes: “After Hours” from We Three, with Phineas Newborn, Jr. and Paul Chambers
- James Williams: “In the Open Court” from Magical Trio 2, with Ray Brown and Elvin Jones