Note: stay tuned over the coming months each of these “plain” lists is replaced with a full blog post with commentary on the items on the list (and, in some cases, the items that didn’t make the cut).
- “A Nice, Clean Machine for Pedro” from Blues in Five Dimensions by Mickey Tucker
- “Summertime” from Svengali by Gil Evans
- “There Comes a Time” from Ego by Tony Williams Lifetime
- “The Lamp is Low” from Genius of the B-3 by Don Patterson
- “Blue Monk” from Peruvian Blue by Kenny Barron
- “You Say You Saw What?” from Secundem Artem by Ted Dunbar
- “The Loud Minority” from The Loud Minority by Frank Foster
- “I Thought About You” from Vivian by J.J. Johnson
- “Sugar” from Music for Violin and Jazz Quartet by Michael Urbaniak
- “Pennies From Heaven” from As Time Goes By by Suzannah McCorkle
Honorable Mention: “I Love This Life” from Uptown Groove by Zachary Breaux. This “tune” is basically an interview with Ted in which he reflects poignantly on some of his notable musical experiences.