Note: stay tuned over the coming months each of these “plain” lists is replaced with a full blog post with commentary on the items on the list (and, in some cases, the items that didn’t make the cut).
Note that this category is not limited to the traditional big band instrumentation.
- Duke Ellington: “Koko”
- Thad Jones and Mel Lewis: “Once Around”
- George Russell: “All About Rosie”
- Count Basie: “Topsy”
- Miles Davis with Gil Evans: “The Duke”
- Duke Ellington: “Cottontail”
- Fletcher Henderson: “Sugarfoot Stomp”
- Charles Mingus: “The Shoes Of The Fisherman’s Wife Are Some Jive-Ass Slippers”
- Stan Kenton with Bob Graettinger: “You Go To My Head”
- Count Basie: “April In Paris”